Monday, October 17, 2005

So then, how many of us have thrown our heads back and laughed in the face of death? It doesn't have to be something as blatant as swinging by one arm from a high limb in a tree or lying on railroad tracks at the approach of a train. I have done neither of those. How about running on trails through bear-infested country without any protection? Or taking the dark street home from work, all alone? Or flying in a small aircraft across the Bering Sea with the nation's tiniest landing strip as your destination? Or eating SPAM?

Sometimes, I get the urge to do things just for spite against the fear of death. I want my life to be full and unafraid, and I don't want to cling to it so much that I never really actually live. You miss out on a lot of great moments that way. Heck, while I'm at it, I think I'll do some shopping for tickets to Cambodia. I've still got some unresolved battles to tackle there.

6 Comments:

Blogger A. Klemmer said...

I think it was Joseph Campbell who talked about the indians going into battle agains Custer and saying, "It's a great day to die." Every now and then I say that to myself, and doing so brings me to the present moment. The sky, the depth of everything around me, seem sharper. I want to keep on living, but sometimes I envy those who are already dead. For them, it's all done and decided. No more decisions, no more complexity.

8:32 PM  
Blogger puffintoad said...

Gee, andre, I could've used that quote as my mantra when I drove the Alaska-Canada highway last winter, and it would have made my trip much more enjoyable. Unfortunately, something doesn't sit well about the thought of dying in a remote place in Canada, eh?

Dead people don't have to clean the house in the morning. That's a nice thought.

12:57 AM  
Blogger CamoBunny said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

12:09 PM  
Blogger CamoBunny said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

12:11 PM  
Blogger CamoBunny said...

hey, don't be hatin'. give spam a chance. down with food prejudice!

1:35 PM  
Blogger ambiguous wanderer said...

I prefer corned beef. Yum!

5:14 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home